A dad-of-two who had both his legs amputated after being bitten by a flash-eating spider now faces losing his arms as well.
Terry Pareja, 65, was in his sister Raquel Ogledy’s garden in February this year, when he was bitten on his right leg by what is believed to have been a white tailed spider.
Hours after the incident in the suburbs of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, his leg started to swell and he was rushed to hospital
He later underwent emergency surgery to amputate his legs, in order to stop the rapid spread of bacteria – understood to be either rare necrotising arachnidism, characterised by ulceration and skin loss; or necrotising fasciitis, a rare but serious bacterial infection, affecting the tissue beneath the skin, surrounding muscles and organs.
A GoFundMe page started by his family has now announced he faces losing as arms as well and is likely to spend more than a year in hospital.
Pareja’s daughter, Jeffmarey, told the BBC : “It’s eating him alive, literally. He needs to stay in hospital for about 12 to 18 months.”
Weeks on from the bite, he remains critically ill and is vomiting blood in the Melbourne hospital’s intensive care unit.
His kidneys are failing and his blood pressure is high.
Terry’s wife, Emma, also has health problems and Jeffmarey’s brother, Jeffrey, does not have a passport, meaning neither could travel.
Five months’ pregnant Jeffmarey, who has two other children, Diane, four, and Drey, six, explained: “My dad went to Australia to visit my aunt and uncle for they have not seen each other for the longest time.
click here to read more