A 20-year-old student died after choking during a pancake-eating contest.
Caitlin Nelson got pancaked lodged in her throat while taking part in the event organised by her sorority group at Sacred Heart University in Connecticut in the US.
A fellow student immediately realised Caitlin was in discomfort and attempted first aid as paramedics were called.
Caitlin was rushed to hospital but doctors were unable to save her and she died two days later in hospital.
It was a second tragedy to hit her family after Caitlin’s dad James Nelson, a New York police officer, died in the 9/11 terror attack.
Caitlin was just five-years-old at the time.
Students and staff have been left devastated by her death.
Hundreds attended a candlelit vigil on Monday night.
One person wrote on a Facebook for the event: “Heaven got another angel and we are sad beyond belief for Caitlin’s family.
“No family should have to endure the loss of a child ever and they already lost her dad on 9/11, it’s heart wrenching.”
click here to read more