A dad who beheaded a snake was left fighting for life after the reptile’s severed head bit him.
Kyle Watson hacked off the rattlesnake’s head with a boat oar after his wife narrowly avoided stepping on the serpent.
But as he went to scoop up the body to examine it, the venomous creature sank its fangs into Kyle’s hand, infecting him with its killer poison.
Then it was a race against time for Kyle, a firefighter, to get help before the venom spread to the rest of his body and killed him.
He said: “I felt my lips and throat swell.
“I took a few more steps and collapsed and struck my head on a rock.”
The stricken dad-of-two felt a burning sensation in his arm before falling unconscious.
Kyle’s wife rang 911, but the couple and their two children, out on a hike in deep forest in Columbia, Tennessee, were miles from a hospital.
He was facing death with his throat swelling up but kept calm for over an hour waiting for his colleagues to rescue him.
Spring Hill Fire Chief Terry Hood had heard one of his own men was peril and a team of firefighters helped other emergency services carry him out of the thick woodland.
Kyle was flown to Vanderbilt University Medical Center in a critical condition but spoke to…
click here to read more.